Friday, November 28, 2008

Resent Ramblings

I did not spell check this blog so forgive me:

November 4th of this year was a stressful night for some. Anxiously awaiting the results of a "historic" election can take its toll on emotions (whether those emotions are driven by excitement or horror). I, personally, wasn't too caught up in the race because the past months had made me resent the news-media. I was "politically burned out".

Just around 7:30pm in the heat of the process a wonderful thing happened: the power went out in my house. At first, like any normal person, I thought that a serial killer had cut the power and now waited in the shadows to...well...kill my mom and myself. Once I regained my head and put down my Nerf gun I came up with a brilliant idea: poetry reading by candle light! After illuminating the living room with the haze of candle light I eagerly read aloud "A Tell Tale Heart" by Edgar Allen Poe to my mom. Following the reading was more reading, this time to myself.

The night was relaxing until 10:00pm when the electricity was restored. I was honestly disappointed. I was ready to live my life without electricity, television, and facebook and resort to the imaginative and beautiful world created by books. I was ready to rest in the arms of an unplugged lifestyle.

____________________________

Wouldn't that be nice? Living "unplugged"? Our society now requires us to be connected through technology. I want to say "Yes! I will live unplugged!" but the truth is, I could not make it. Although, what I can do is this: live in a way that does not require to me to lean on technology, but use it for what it is - a tool to connect, not lifestyle to live out.

I'm tired, are you?

3 comments:

Kayla said...

haha Layne, i do think a serial killer would cut the power and would then kill me. seriously.
i like your post :) and a tell tale heart is a good one. a little creepy though haha.

Lauren Kucera said...

LAYNE! I didn't know you had a blog! This is so fantastic!

AND on top of that...this was an amazing post! Such cool insight.

I think my favorite part was...(if I may quote you), " At first, like any normal person, I thought that a serial killer had cut the power and now waited in the shadows to...well...kill my mom and myself." hahaha, I laughed out loud when I read it.

but seriously I really enjoyed reading this and am really glad to know you are a part of this blogging world as well!

Carissa said...

When I lived in China, the electricity often went out just because. At those times, I always lit a candle and snuggled up on my couch to read. I loved those times! Americans are too spoiled.